What We Believe
“All need to be saved. All may be saved. All may know themselves saved. All may be saved to the uttermost.”
Traditional summary of Methodist teaching
- We believe in one God who is Father, Son and Holy Spirit, creator of everything.
- We believe that God created human beings in His image, in perfect relationship with Him.
- We believe that humanity’s disobedience of God destroys our perfect relationship with Him.
- We believe that God loves us so much that He sent His son Jesus Christ
who was born of the Virgin Mary; who was fully God and fully human;
who lived entirely without sin; who, for us, suffered and was crucified, died and was buried in order to rise again and ascend into heaven.
- We believe that the relationship between God and ourselves is restored by God when we personally respond in repentance and faith to what Jesus Christ has done.
- We believe that it is the person of God, the Holy Spirit living within us who empowers us to live a Christ-centred life.
- We believe that God has revealed himself in the Bible, which consists of the Old and New Testaments alone. Every word was inspired by God through human authors, fully reliable in fact and doctrine. The Bible alone speaks with final authority and is always sufficient for all matters of belief and practice.
- We believe that the church is the body of Christ, of which He is the Head.
- We believe that this Church community exists to worship, serve and witness that Jesus Christ is Lord.
- We believe that Jesus will return at a time known only to God, to judge all human beings, those living and those who have died, completing God’s plan of salvation, renewing His creation and establishing His reign of love for ever.